Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Junior Executive

This article has been edited and included in The Leadhead's Pencil Blog Volume 4; copies are available print on demand through Amazon here, and I offer an ebook version in pdf format at the Legendary Lead Company here.

If you don't want the book but you enjoy this article, please consider supporting the Blog project here.

It’s been more than three years since I last talked about Eversharp’s metal checking pencils:


Simply put, that’s been because I haven’t had anything new to say about them.  For review, I’ve discussed the three different incarnations of the pencils – here’s the initial version cataloged in 1921 as the “Eversharp 100,” at top, and the (the full article is at http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2011/12/eversharp-checking-pencils-update.html):


And in that more recent article, I figured out that the checking pencil was redesigned for 1929, with a modified mechanism, ribbed clip and aluminum barrel (shown at the center in this picture, with the full article at http://leadheadpencils.blogspot.com/2013/07/good-thing-im-crazy.html)


In the years since, I’ve slowly been upgrading my stash of all three lines, trying to get complete runs in all the colors for each series – without all the ugly chunks out of the enamel.  Yet there’s one that’s been bugging me:


Here’s the page from Eversharp’s 1922 catalog in the PCA library, showing that these pencils also came in gold filled and silver plated barrels in Eversharp’s chevron pattern – even though they were identical to Eversharp’s checking pencils, the catalog refers to these as “Executive” pencils.  The 1924 catalog added a plain silver plated barrel to the “Executive” lineup.  For 1928, model 67P is cataloged in a plain gold filled barrel as simply a “Long standard diameter barrel, no eraser, uses checking lead.”

Despite appearances in catalogs over the entire 7-year run of second generation checking pencils, I had never been able to find any of these, until Michael McNeil emailed me from the great Northwest to show me a spread of pencils he was ready to sell, one of which finally filled that gap in my collection.

Sort of.

In a good way:


In a demi size.  And with a military clip to boot!   Yeah, I know . . . the caps are interchangeable, but it wouldn’t make sense in the 1920s to offer an “Executive” pencil in a ringtop, would it?  

As my previous articles indicate, that beveled tip is a good indicator that what’s inside should be a second-generation mechanism, with a plain slotted screw threading into the barrel, and that’s exactly what this one proves to have:


It’s a perfectly scaled-down version of the regular line:


Hard as these are to find, it would be a leap to call them uncataloged or “off-catalog”: the PCA’s library, which is the most complete in the world, is lacking complete catalogs for 1923, 1926 and 1927.  If I were to guess at a production date, I’d say these would be towards the beginning of the second generation, between 1923 and 1925 – that’s when Eversharp had the widest selection of cataloged models in weird sizes (the “Midget” and “Matchstick” pencils also appear in 1924).

No comments: